Which is the best foamy Spitfire sold through a local hobby shop?

Started by Frank v B, July 31, 2019, 07:36:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank v B

If I were to get a Spitfire, which one should I look at seriously?  Foamy with strong retracts. 3S but ideally 4 S-able.

Would love to hear from our resident experts on foamies like Simon, Oscar, Glenn, Bruce with the Morning Crew, Rob D., etc.

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

bweaver

Is Cynthia getting you one for your Anniversary?  What a wonderful Wife... ;D

Frank v B

Bruce, Are you kidding.  Cynthia buying me an airplane? The end of the world has a higher probability of happening.  8)
The reason I need the advice is that if I am going to get killed for bringing another plane home it better be worth the abuse.  ;D ;D 
Now answer my question! .... pretty please. ;)

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

bweaver

@Frank v B  Re: Now answer my question! .... pretty please. ;)

I haven't a clue? 

I really do hope someone else can help you Frank.

BJROB

I haven't a clue!!!  ???
But the Parkzone Spitfire Mk IX
Is th best.....
it has the Canadian marking on it..
The best!!!  ;D
My Work??? is so secret....
I Don't even Know what I'm Doing!!!

sihinch

I like Parkzone for their reliability and robustness. Plus easy to fly. But they are pricey and I'm not sure the current (soon to be discontinued ??? Because it's been out a while) Spit XIV is 4S capable.

The other one that gets good reviews and IS 4S capable is the 1200mm Flightline version. They have nice details and are available from A&J hobbies (he'd need to order it though.) I've not seen one but they have a good reputation. I have a 1200mm FW-190 and it looks great and flies well.

At the cheaper end, and with potentially dodgy retracts you could get an old Dynam Spitfire, again from A&J. I've had one, they fly great but don't look massively scale and do have slightly suspect electronics. 1200mm and will do 4S.

If it were me, buying new, I'd get the Flightline 1200mm Mk.9

octagon

Frank, you have likely seen my 63 inch Fliteline MkIX fly. It is a very nice plane, great scale and has a presence in the air. It's little brother is supposed to be as good as it. I am with Simon, get Arden to order you the 1200 mm one.
What could possibly go wrong?

Oscar

Quote from: Frank v B on July 31, 2019, 09:46:03 PM
... I need the advice is that if I am going to get killed for bringing another plane home it better be worth the abuse.  ;D ;D 

Then why settle for 3S / 4S.  Aim for the 6S, the Flightline 63" SpitFire MKIX.  ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EgTgQZdeXs

The Eflite SpitFire is good but it includes the SAFE Select R/X.  (Seeing how much you love SAFE and AS3X technology, I think most likely you will remove it.)  If you are going to replace the R/X then it's not worth it. 

Simon and Rob suggestion will be your next choice - Flightline 1200mm SpitFire.  Arden from AJ Hobbies will able to order it for you.  It doesn't come with R/X and it runs on 4S. Cost will be bit cheaper than Eflite.  See YouTube review below.

https://youtu.be/69MH0n5OGlk

You do have another option - FliteTest Spitfire build kit.  You can get it from GreatHobbies for $55.  The foam Kit does not include electronics.  (I am sure you have lots of parts at home).  Downside is you won't able to put on the retract.  See YouTube build video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gutkh30I-eM

That's all I can think of from the LHS.

RogMason

'Roger That...'

Palkina

sihinch

VadimKirillov

Hey Carlos, do you want to put efforts together to 3D Print Spitfire, to prove Simon that 3D printed planes melt only in the same rate as Foamies and burn only as wall as balsa?  8)

BJROB

Ok I see a challenge here
Ok prove Simon wrong  ::)
Or is he right ???
My Work??? is so secret....
I Don't even Know what I'm Doing!!!

davidk

I believe this is the same plane...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvs3yvEcARA&t=2s

If the challenge goes forward, Simon has to fly it... 'cause that's where planes melt... if they're going to.

Let me know if I can help.

Palkina