Frank's Covid 19.4 build- a boat!

Started by Frank v B, May 03, 2020, 09:53:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank v B

Please don't think I have gone to the dark side but I have just started the Dumas Sk-Daddle Jr.  An 18" ski boat.
It is designed for a Cox .049 but I will put an in-runner electric into it.

It's not a plane but this one should fly across the water.

The justification:

- I have built/finished 3 planes since Covid distancing started.  How many more planes do I need?   (I know.  Just one more)
- we just opened our pool and the flying field is closed.
- I bought the kit at the Aurora Swap meet last year for $20, including all the running hardware... a steal.
- there is rain in the forecast.
- I was into model boats as a teenager and was a member of the Metro Marine Modelers when I was in grades 7-12.  Yes, with great mentors like Norm Perkins, Dennis Eason, Bill Burr, Roy Bourke, Bob Ferrant and Ray Davidson.  I used to have RC electric, power and sail boats.

There won't be many posts because this is a flying club Forum but..... it is RC and will bring it to the next float fly.

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

octagon

Hey Frank,
If you want to build it they way it was designed, I have several 0.49s (I think about 4). You are welcome to one.
What could possibly go wrong?

VadimKirillov

Frank, you know most of our airplanes fly worse then boats. I want to see you build the "flying" boat. post more pictures.

bfeist

Frank v B

Rob,  Thanks for the offer......but backyard pool and the sounds of our childhood don't go together.  Remember this sound and notice the stuff dripping from the bottom. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VV0YZddRBno 8)

Ben, So that is NASA's interpretation of my project.  It looks like what you and Bruce would have drawn over a few beers, except Bruce wanted two motors, front and back. ;)  Ben, I hope you and your family are keeping well.

Quick photo update after 24 hours.  The die-crushed parts make the Guillow's kits look luxurious.  6 of the pieces broke even with careful cutting.  The wood ("mahogany") looks like it was harvested from some petrified forest.  Should send a piece out for carbon dating. :D

Frank

octagon

Hey Frank. Thanks for the video. Man that brings back memories. I had forgotten how messy those nitro engines were. I remember when I could afford it I would buy a fuel called Missle Mist. It would make the little 049 really sing and would allow about a 6 inch prop with a lot of pitch. We used to do a lot of control line combat flying with them attached to the front of Goldberg's Little Satan or one of Top Flite's profile WW2 fighters. Course with control line if you got tangled you just knew it wasn't gonna end well.
What could possibly go wrong?

piker

I like the boat, but it took you 24 hours to build to that point?  I though you were fast!   ;D

Frank v B

RobMissile Mist.  That was much better than the regular stuff.  It had 40% nitromethane, regular stuff had a minimum of 20% for Cox engines.  A pint of fuel went a long way on an .049.  I had a TD .049 and it would sing on a Cox Grey 6x4 prop and Missile Mist.  Nothing could touch it.

Interesting to see in the video that an .049 produces  42 watts.  Internet info suggests people are putting electric motors in for 150 watts.

Piker- At least my projects can be timed with a watch.  Yours are timed with a calendar!  ;)  You drew the floats for the American Eaglet in '93.  So it has taken you two centuries.   I know.  Nasty.  Your delay is not by choice but it is good to see you pick up knife and glue every now and then.

Frank

piker

Quote from: Frank v B on May 04, 2020, 03:45:35 PM

Piker- At least my projects can be timed with a watch.  Yours are timed with a calendar!  ;)  So you drew the floats in '93.  So it has taken you two centuries.   I know.  Nasty.  You delay is not by choice but it is good to see you pick up knife and glue every now and then.

Frank

Nasty and SO true!   :P    ;D

Frank v B

Installed the hull bottom with 5 minute epoxy.  The first half was done last night.  The second half was done this morning.  Only the back half has been glued.  The front half has to be soaked with water and bent into the bow.  Both sides have to be done at the same time so the frame does not twist.

F.

Frank v B

Photo 40- soaking the bottom plywood to bend it at the bow.
Photo 41- bottom plywood glued and clamped.
Photo 44- The sides glued and clamped.  One side was done at a time.  Note the severe bending of the sides inward at the deck near the stern (tumblehome).  Note: the clamps were used to secure the sides at the deck level.  The rubber bands pressed the side against the bottom of the hull.
Photo 45- Stern view of the sides.

F.

Frank v B

Setting the prop shaft.  Have picked a 28mm inrunner 3000kv that can run on 2-4S.  The prop is small so I went with the higher KV motor.  Will probably start it off with 2 S to see how it goes.

Note: I used a solid brass tube connected to the motor so the motor shaft and prop shaft are perfectly aligned.  The real connection will be made with a flexible coupling but the straighter to connection, the lower the power loss.

Frank

Skyking

Very nice Frank. But it won't fly.
Actually, I can.

Michael

Quote from: Skyking on May 06, 2020, 12:30:39 AM
Very nice Frank. But it won't fly.

I've built a few boats in the past.

With a 3000kv brushless motor, it just might fly.
Michael

Frank v B

We have to resolve the difference of opinion between two accomplished modellers.

Ken- "....It won't fly"

Michael-  "It just might fly"

To resolve the opinions I have a coin.

Heads "It won't fly", tails "it just might fly"

Here is the flip...... heads!

Issue resolved.  ;D ;D

Frank