A windy one today- Sunday Sept 1

Started by Frank v B, September 01, 2024, 09:50:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank v B

Andy and I visited Rogo Field today.  Winds were forecast to be significant....and that was true.  At least the wind gods sent it straight down the runway from the north.

Mixed results
- My Pogo EF-1 did not want to work for me- rudder servo had stripped gears.  Will replace it.  No Fly.
Good to find out now instead of during the Orangeville races in 3 weeks.
- My Texan  (25 size) flew fine.  A quick take-off when a gust hit it and lifted it into the sky.  The flying was fine.  The landing was fine...until one foot off the runway when a downdraft pushed it down, pancaked it and bounced it up and cartwheeled wingtip to wingtip.  The repairs will take about two hours.
- My Mini-Breeze (34" span hand-launched bullet) flew fine, landed fine.

Andy's flights then started:
-Beech Staggerwing took off fine landed fine until it flipped over and broke the nose off (cleanly).  "A mere flesh wound".  Very repairable.
- his E-Flite aerobatic plane (480 size) flew fine and landed fine
- his His foamy Tigermoth stayed in the car...either scared of the wind or scared of Andy... maybe both! ;D

Worth the trip.

Frank

"Never trade luck for skill"

Andy Hoffer

Today was absolutely incredible at Rogo field.  Winds were 34 gusting 54 km/h from the North to West.  These were the strongest winds I've experienced to date at TEMAC. @Frank v B and I had lots of fun dodging eddies off the trees and competing with the ospreys for best aerial performance (the birds definitely won, having thousands of years of evolution on their side).  Ryan McLeod arrived later in the afternoon and gave his flying wing models a terrific workout.  Skies were clear blue with occasional cumulus clouds passing through to make the sky more visually interesting.

Highlights of the day were crows at and ospreys in their respective formation flights. (they are really good at it) and Frank's ambidextrous wing removal. technique (photo no 7710)!

Winds for Monday Sept 2 are forecast to be NW at 22 gusting 44 km/h, which should be more manageable for more pilots.

Have a great weekend.

Andy Hoffer