Starting off the season

Started by Michael, April 08, 2005, 04:19:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael

I purchased more orange plastic fencing (4 foot height) and wood posts from the lumber yard next to the field. I put some of the posts in today, and will finish the job this Saturday afternoon between 3pm and 5pm, and/or early Sunday morning.

The flight area has a good amount of nice green grass on it, and it is reasonably flat. I have been able to take off and land with wheels of 2 inch diameter. (I've done a fair bit of flying too.)

Please note the following:

1. The new flight line is exactly 100' east of the parking fence. Please respect this flightline and fly safely.

2. The driveway is still very muddy. Please park before the tree-line and walk in. A 4x4 SUV can drive left (east) at that point towards the flight area and around the muddy areas, and then back to the parking area. Some areas need to be filled in before it is smooth enough for cars to drive in.

3. There is some damage to the older fences and the frequency board. If anyone wants to repair them, go ahead, if not I'll get to them eventually.

4. There is still some garbage left from last year. If anyone can clean up a bit and get rid of the garbage, please do so, if not I'll get to it eventually.

If anyone wants to help, or ask any questions, please call me tomorrow (Friday May 6) between 9am and 5pm at my office: 416-784-4261.

TEMAC should officially be open by the May 21 weekend. Grass cutting should start about then too.

Michael
Michael

piker

I'll be getting a late start on Saturday, so will hopfully get to TEMAC around noon.  I'll then try to do some flying then be available to help out when you get there.

Anyone else coming out?

Robert

oldtrc

I would have been there already but I have been working weekends. Will try to come to help somehow anyway.
Nestor

gordonbw

I'll definitely be there on Saturday, probably around 11 or so, and will be glad to help out with anything that needs doing.

Gordon Braun-Woodbury
“Crashing builds character. Really!”

Michael

As I said, I'll be there about 3 or 4pm.

Michael

Michael
Michael

Michael

I put in several posts already. If anyone wants to put in more, please keep in mind, they need to be about 5 feet apart, and each fence (set of posts) should be just under 50 feet long, with an open section in the middle. The posts' height should about equal to those I already installed. A big hammer is neccessary to install these posts. I left the posts near one of the tables.

We may also need some heavy string or wire and some stakes to support the outer posts.

I have the fencing with me, and a staple gun, which I will bring to the field before 4pm.

If anyone could straighten out the fencing near the parking, it would be appreciated.

If nobody wants to work, don't worry, just have fun.

Michael
Michael

Michael

Stay away if it rains.

If it stays dry today, I'll be there as planned.

If it rains, I won't be there this afternoon, but I will early tomorrow morning.

Michael
Michael

Michael

What a great day!

There were flyers at TEMAC from mid-morning until after 5pm.

The farmer put wood chips all over the driveway, and we could carefully drive in. The field is in relatively good condition, and we flew all kinds of planes: park flyers, trainers, 3D, profile foamies, large aerobatic and large 3D.

We flew so much, we hardly got any work done. Robert Pike, Adam Rogozinsky and I finished installing 1/2 of the new fence. I'll do some more tomorrow morning.

I want to get a little work done on the field, but I see no reason why the May 21/22 weekend shouldn't be our official opening weekend.

Michael
Michael

piker

Yes, I was there from 11:30 'til after 5:00.  Glenn, Ben, Gordon, and I were flying for the early afternoon, then Michael and Adan showed up around 3:00.  The wind was reasonable all afternoon and calmed right down around 4:00.  I was even able to fly a couple of 6-7 oz indoor models.

It's so nice to have a flying field where everything electric, from big to small, fast to slow is welcome and enjoyed by all.

The more people we have out on a regular basis the better.  It's flying season guys.  Let's make the best of it.

Robert

gordonbw

What a great flying day, with good friends and cool planes!  The field is in very good condition.  I'm looking forward to a terrific season.

Gordon Braun-Woodbury
"How on earth do I land this thing?"

Michael

More great flying on Sunday.

The weather was really nice, and a few flyers showed up, even though it was mother's day.

I flew my new Funtata again, after some minor repairs; the gear box came off in flight yesterday.

At one point there was absolutely no wind, and we could take off and land in any direction.

It appears that members are beginning to find afternoon flying more pleasurable; the sun is behind us and the wind begins to calm down.

The field needs some work; I'll call our field maintenance man this week. I'll send out emails notifying all members that we will be open the Victoria Day weekned.

Michael
Michael

Michael

Main fence and secondary fence are in place and straight (thanks John Gunthier for the help).

Michael
Michael