2 meter (give or take a meter or so) electric powered 'floaty' gliders

Started by Michael, April 03, 2014, 04:20:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ededge2002

I managed to fly my not so floaty Enigma F5B glider today for 25minutes on just 2000mA (4S).
I have my motor run timer set to 45seconds and even though its not that floaty I think I managed ok.  I agree it was neat to see some others out there! 
Yea 400W/lb should about do it.. But wouldn't a nice round 500 be better?

Michael

It was a new-old experience flying a powered glider again.

One problem I had was that the prop kept spinning after I throttled down, reducing my 'thermalling' capability. (A free-spinning prop acts like a brake on a glider.)

I have since programmed a brake feature on the speed control, so I hope that works better next time.
Michael

piker

I recall an analogy I heard many years ago.  "Letting a 12" prop free spin on the front of a glider results in the same drag as a fixed disk of over 8" on the front"... if memory serves well  :)

gordonbw

I'll bring the re-motored Goldberg Electra this weekend, weather permitting.

Michael

I had another flight with the Spectra today, and the re-programmed speed-control/brake worked perfectly.

The motor stopped spinning when throttle was off and the glide was significantly improved.

One side of the folding wasn't folding, but that has now been fixed.

This is very enjoyable.
Michael

gordonbw

The re-motored Goldberg Electra had its second maiden today following field cleanup. Lovely old plane, floats forever.  It was a little breezy for the airfoil, but I just added some down trim and it penetrated surprisingly well.

sihinch

I was so inspired by Greg Hs glider and all this talk of 2m gliders that I got myself a cheap foamy.

It's a 2m Phoenix with a little 150watt out runner and folding prop. I added flaps and a visible (Royal) colour scheme. I still want to add some black stripes under the wings.

Hoping to enjoy some relaxing flying after all the racing, and hopefully learn how to thermal.

I'm going to copy the program from the X plane (thanks again Pat.)

electroflyer

Nice Simon,
Funny how we are going full circle. This is how many of us learned how to fly in the first place. I'm really enjoying my London swap meet special!
What company makes the Phoenix?

sihinch

I got it from HK and it's made by Lan-Yu, I think.

Gets OK reviews on RCGroups.

My first (successful) flying was with Slope Soarers, so I am hoping to re-live some of the magic!