CL-415 group-build thread

Started by Michael, October 13, 2018, 04:37:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

octagon

Nice job on the planking. I'm impressed. Mine is much more "rustic"
What could possibly go wrong?

Michael

Wing on fuselage.

Laser-cut plywood beefed-up with hard balsa on top and bottom, and the tapped to match 1/4" nylon screws, and threads then hardened with thin CA.

Michael

electroflyer

Nice work!
  Michael, are you going to cut the forward leaning balsa shape where the canopy sits? On my fuse, I added the triangular shape and had it bend inwards to coincide with the cantilevered roof line.

Michael

That's too many big words for me; I don't understand.

Show me an image, and ask again.
Michael

electroflyer

I mean this little triangular piece here.

Michael

The triangle is part of my slab-side.

Time for a break and a look at the work so far.

At this pace, I may start buying covering by the end of the week. I'd like to go ahead with a finish like the photo below. Are you guys ok wit that?

Michael

octagon

I'm good with the colour scheme, kind of like the red and yellow combo. I have been screwing around with the in wing servos that will power the flaps with internal pushrods rather than exterior control horns and control rods. The servos are brand new but are buzzing even when under little load. Don't know it they are defective, hope not they are glued to the ply plates in the bottom of the wing. The good news is the flaps work very well and are scale.   

Michael

Sometimes digital servos buzz under light load.

If they make no noise under no load, I'd guess they are ok.
Michael

octagon

Ya, but they are not digital. I took them out and even under no load the servo buzzes at it's end of travel. Would it be anything to do with the servo tester? I mean do you know if somehow the servo tester pushes the end points of the servo?

Michael

If they don't buzz at the center, I would guess they are fine.

Michael

octagon

But they buzz when the flaps are closed because they are not at centre but rather at the extreme end of travel. I am going to put the servo on the tester, and put it on the setting where the servo travels back and forth and leave it to complete a few hundred cycles to see if that helps. If not I will return the thing to Pinnacle as if that does not fix it I will assume it is defective. Saying that, there is a lot on the internet about these servos and I do not think they are very good, or at least not high quality.

electroflyer

What type of servos are you using and what size? Sometimes the linkages apply a little bit of a load on the gear train of the servo which helps to exacerbate the sound. You may also want to set up a receiver and see if that helps as a servo tester may not work as well especially if there is settings on the unit for digital and analog servos.
  The final thing may be servos that are too small and cannot handle the load without straining. I am using Full size Analog servos as I find them to be the most durable, quiet and cost effective.

Merry Christmas!

octagon

Merry Christmas Glenn,
I have a feeling that the batteries that powered the checker may be down on power and somehow that is causing the problem. I don't have the servos back in yet but they seem to be quiet now. I will let you know.

Michael

Happy Crimble and a Very New Year!

Michael

Michael

Rudder servo and cable-tube installed.
Elevator servo installed in fin. (KISS principle)
Rear upper fuselage sheeting (1/16th inch).
Michael