Flying this Sunday, late AM or early PM

Started by Michael, April 27, 2006, 08:35:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael

The grass has been carefully cut and the field has been lightly rolled, however, small indentations still need to be filled with soil and covered with grass seeds. I'd like to do this, and fix up the fence, perhaps next week, or the week after.

In the menatime, I'm probably going up to TEMAC this Sunday, either late morning or early afternoon. I'll post an update Saturday evening.

Michael
Michael

Michael

It's quite windy today.

I still may go fly around noon or 1pm.

I'll post again around 11 or 11:30am.

Michael
Michael

gordonbw

I was up at TEMAC yesterday at 11.  VERY windy and not much fun...

Gordon Braun-Woodbury
"How on earth do I land this thing?"

Michael

I'm going. If the wind is too strong, oh well, too bad for me.

I should be up there between 12:30 adn 1pm.

Michael
Michael

slo-poke

QuoteOriginally posted by Michael

The grass has been carefully cut
Did he use scissors?

and the field has been lightly rolled,

Is that like "lightly killed"? [}:)]

Michael

Actually, most of the field is pretty flat and the grass is cut short. It looks good, but we will still need to get some soil and grass seeds to fill in the shallow holes.

The grass looks thick and healthy.

I was there today, with Adam. We had two flights, but it was very windy. Colin and Derek Moses were there too, braving the wind.

Michael
Michael

rkhoo

I flew my GWS EasyBug at dusk for about 5 minutes.  Boy it was windy 8O

wollins

Yup ... we were there in the 30 kmph wind! Flew out about two to three packs each with Derek's Rascal and his Monsun.  We were quite surprised as to how well the Rascal handles wind (we flew on Saturday as well when winds were gusting to 36km!) since it's a high wing with a relatively large wing area, quite a low wing loading and only had a rudder for directional control. It's actually BETTER than the sleek low wing Monsun in heavy wind! (Which actually did ok as well, thank goodness)

It helps that the wind was blowing hard in ONE constant direction and maybe it has to do with the fact that we upgraded the Rascal's power system to BL and Lipos so that it now has a power to weight ratio of about 106 watts per pound. (Up from last season's stock setup of 65w per pound)

There's nothing like some extra "Oommph" for those "touchy" moments. Whoo hoo ... maybe now we can ROG! (As soon as we "get some soil and grass seeds to fill in the shallow holes." [:D])

Anyway, mission accomplished. What mission you ask? [;)] Getting home withn all planes looking the same way as when they arrived at the field! [:D] So all in all ... a good day.

Colin.

|
|
|

Three things are certain ... Death, Taxes and CRASHIN'! :)
|
|
|

Three things are certain ... Death, Taxes and CRASHIN'!

piker

Colin,

I was alway impressed too with how well the Rascal can handle the wind for a lightly loaded model.

Your accomplishment of going home with everything in one piece reminded me of my early days of flying.  I still remember the feeling of doing so.  It was a rare event indeed!

When my brother and I would go slope soaring we wouldn't go home until it was time for repairs.

Even now, it's still a good feeling to be able to leave a fun fly without carnage of some sort.

Robert

wollins

quote:
Originally posted by Michael

"small indentations still need to be filled with soil and covered with grass seeds."
Michael

Yeah Michael ... lets do that asap ... we're volunteering right now to help out for sure (I'm sure I can speak for Derek as well) since we have a vested interest! [:D] (we have small planes with small wheels and we'd love to be able to ROG)

Besides I can't hand launch my new Ultimate and as it is I'm nervous as heck to maiden it so it'd be nice to be able to do it on a smooth field. [:)]

Colin.

|
|
|

|
|
|

wollins

quote:
Originally posted by piker

Colin,

I was alway impressed too with how well the Rascal can handle the wind for a lightly loaded model.

Your accomplishment of going home with everything in one piece reminded me of my early days of flying.  I still remember the feeling of doing so.  It was a rare event indeed!

When my brother and I would go slope soaring we wouldn't go home until it was time for repairs.

Even now, it's still a good feeling to be able to leave a fun fly without carnage of some sort.

Robert

CARNAGE ... I like that! [:D] I had a bit of "CARNAGE" last Wednesday when I made a two inch hole in the ground on account of trying to fly a massively tail heavy (and too HEAVY in general I might add) foam Sukhoi and subsequently augering it in from about twenty feet!

The thing was so tail heavy (manual came with the wrong CG location) that it was UNCONTROLLABLE. It also didn't help that it was blowing about 25 km at the time either.  (Not the best weather to be maidening a plane, much less a tail heavy one! [;)])

However it is EPP and after picking up some "pieces" was able to put her back together to its original state and came back out on Saturday with the correct CG.  Had a couple of amazing flights with this overpowered BRICK. (It has an AXI 2820 in its nose powered by a 4 cell lipo putting out about 337 watts! [:I]) But then as is often the case ... got cute on the last flight ... a gust (maybe about 35 km?[}:)]) blew it behind my back, over my head over the flight line (ooops!) ... I totally lost orientation and augered it in AGAIN ... HARD.

Needless to say there was an explosion of foam this time but the important stuff (Lipos, motor esc etc) were fine. The impact was so hard though that I cracked the spinner's back plate! In any event, long story short ... its now back together and looks as if that crash never happened. (Ahhh ... the magic of a hot glue gun and foam.) [:)]

So we're waiting for the next "outing". Maybe Wednesday? [:)] Can ya tell that I don't have that much emotional attachment to this "practice" plane? hee hee!

So there ... CARNAGE INDEED! [:D]

Colin.

|
|
|

|
|
|