TEMAC for 2007; online member's meeting

Started by Michael, December 05, 2006, 07:00:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael

TEMAC for 2007; INFORMAL online member's meeting

Discussion ENDS Dec. 12, 2006

Hi guys

When I first started TEMAC a little over 3 years ago, I promised that we would have elections for a new executive, and our club would become a little more formal.

Several people have since suggested that we not change anything, and we continue running the club as is.

The executive/club consists of:

President - Michael Rogozinsky
Vice President - Jack Humphries
Treasurer - John Kusterin
Secretary - Robert Pike
Official Club Representitive and Senior Instructor - André Wedseltoft

We have about 50+ members per year; we have several hundred dollars in our bank account at the lowest; our biggest expenses are the land lease and grass care, the club is a legal entity as a non-profit organization, and a MAAC chartered club.

Generally, I do all of the paperwork upkeep, André does most of the training, and several members help out upgrading the club/field from time to time.

I hereby suggest the following:
If anyone wants to have elections for a new executive, please nominate someone to run; if someone wants to run for any position, please make it known here; if someone wants to have any major change in the club, let it be known here; if anyone has a major complaint about the club, please state so here, BEFORE December 12, 2006.

Otherwise, please state that you would like the club to continue as is for another year.

ALSO ......

Please bring your membership renewal cheques ($80 for renewal, $110 for new membership) made out to TEMAC to the next Winter Workshop, Dec. 13, 2006, or mail them to:

TEMAC
165 Tycos Drive
Toronto, ON
M6B 1W6

Michael
Michael

oldtrc

I think It's OK as it is, especially with great membership we have.
Nestor[:)]

eric

I'm a new member and haven't got a lot of experience here, but I'm enjoying the club the way it is right now and am not a great fan of the formal thing. I've belonged to organizations that went the "tighter ship" route and almost all deteriorated into a more restrictive type of atmosphere. Invariably, that's when the fun goes right out the window.

Eric

wollins

I like the "executive" (all nice guys! [:D]) and I think we have a great setup as is.  I would like to see a couple of "improvements" however. [:)]

1. We REALLY have to do something about the condition of the field what with the holes etc.  I know this has been discussed casually amoung ourselves since TEMAC's inception but maybe this season we should really get serious about it. [:)]

I know that the bigger planes generally have no problems taking off and landing but it would be nice to have the guys with the smaller planes have the opportunity to learn to ROG.  Incidentally even the bigger planes can sometimes have a problem if they don't have sufficient elevator control surface area to hold the tail down on initial taxi run up.  A great example are the bigger warbirds. I recall Simon breaking a couple of his props with his Spitfire and Andre breaking about three of his big props in a row on takeoff attempts with his big Heinkel one evening (due to noseovers) and those suckers can set you back 5 to 10 bucks a pop! (Don't ask me how I know! [:(!])

In any event taking off is a major part of the learning curve with flying and IF and when people decide to "move up" to bigger planes (that they can't hand launch) they will have already learned to take off from the ground (ROG) with their smaller models. On the other hand if they did not get that opportunity to learn these techniques, BEFORE they DO move up in size there is a MUCH greater chance of them potentially crashing on takeoff. (Again, don't ask me how I know! [:D])  Bigger planes = bigger expense = more to lose if you crash! [:0]

I've discussed this field condition at length on several different occasions with several members and there is always a general consensus among us that members wouldn't even mind paying something extra to have this done. I have also discussed this with the guy (the older gentleman, not the son) who cuts the grass and he told me about this big operation that the Toronto club had done (involving members volunteering to work) to get their field in the condition that it is in today.  Maybe John and/or Nestor can chime in on this? [;)]  In any event, I'm sure that members would not mind volunteering to do the same with our club. (I know I wouldn't) Or maybe we can have a landscaping company do an estimate as to how much it would cost? I dunno.

2. We should move the wind sock back to its original position (on the flightline as opposed to behind it) so that you can see the wind direction at a glance. As it is, it's a bit difficult to have to look back over your shoulder to see the wind direction when you're on "final", especially if you're a bit nervous about your landing for whatever reason! [:I] (maiden flight, emergency deadstick landing etc)

Other than those two things I think we have the best club! (But then I'm biased [;)])  I know for sure that we have the best bunch of guys that one could ask for to spend an awesome evening (or whenever) with flying!

Looking forward to flying with everyone again in the spring.

Thanks!

Colin.

|
|
|

Three things are certain ... Death, Taxes and CRASHIN'! :)
|
|
|

Three things are certain ... Death, Taxes and CRASHIN'!

Michael

Actually, considering that Colin is one of the guys who spends more time at TEMAC than just about anyone, I'd agree with his comments.

I think John Kusterin said he would probably move the windsock back, but pointed out that when closer to the trees, it is not as accurate.

As far as the smoothness of the field is concerned, we would all like to see an improvement. The main obstacles to this are:

1. To get a professional to do this is VERY expensive.
2. Even if we did spend the money, our lease is year to year, and it may not be a good long-term investment.
3. Ideas and suggestions are usually forwarded to me with the expectation that I will take action; problem is, I don't know what to do in this case.

It has been suggested, that the best way to improve the field, is not to "roll" or "flatten" it, but rather to buy earth/dirt, fill the holes, and plant grass in those spots. Even if we did a small section of the field, we would need a commitment from SEVERAL members to help.

I would suggest that we discuss this at a Winterworkshop meeting in January or February. I'll speak to Robert, and make sure mebers are notified before this meeting.

Michael
Michael

Kenvention2

Great club, Great field, but could use more patio stones . . .[:D]

Ken

rkhoo

I know the Humber Valley RC club had the Parks department donating top-soil or compost on their field to level things up.  Their club is built on top of a dump site.

Since we are a social club, may be we can get the same treat from the Parks department.

piker

Michael, is there no way we can get more of a commitment from the leaser in leu of the same commitment from us?  If we knew we had, say, a five year lease, minimum, we could justify the expense and work required to improved the field.  

I don't think it would take TOO much work.  It's really not that bad.  It just needs a little finishing effort.  Like final sanding  [:)]

I'm more than willing to put in whatever labour is required.

Robert

wollins

Count me in for labour too.  I'm a big boy, I can handle it! :)

Colin.

|
|
|

Three things are certain ... Death, Taxes and CRASHIN'! :)
|
|
|

Three things are certain ... Death, Taxes and CRASHIN'!

piker

Michael,  Do you want to make the December Winter Workshop, next week, an official TEMAC meeting (say, for half of the evening if required)?  That way people could make the trip and renew their memberships if they haven't already done so.

BTW, the winter has already been too long.  I was dreaming about flying both last night and the night before  [:I]

Robert

Michael

Yeah, we can devote half (not more) of the meeting to discuss TEMAC.

We can talk about the upcoming year, and improving the field.

I plan on bringing at least 3 models for "Show and Tell". Everyone should try to bring something to show; seeing other people's planes is usually the most fun at the meetings.

Michael
Michael

slo-poke

QuoteOriginally posted by Michael

It has been suggested, that the best way to improve the field, is not to "roll" or "flatten" it, but rather to buy earth/dirt, fill the holes, and plant grass in those spots. Even if we did a small section of the field, we would need a commitment from SEVERAL members to help.

I agree fully with you Michael.The field needs to be levelled but not with "dirt". Our field is critically short of organic matter. Compost is our best material to level and improve the health of the lawn.
Rob is right. We should get a commitment from Lambert before we put more value into the field.
 All municipalities have composting programs whereby they give it away in the spring and fall. If our members took the time to wait in line to get this(I believe the max. per person is a 4x8 triler full) It can be stockpiled and when we have eenough organize a rake and wheel barrow day to spread it. Although the entire field needs it I would suggest starting with an area of 20'x50'in the most common take off area. You might caution  members that if there is a sale at Costco or Canadian tire on seed to avoid getting this. The grass seed I originally spread three years ago is a single species not a blend , that is short growing ,drought resistant, self spreading and grub resistant. Putting on a domestic blend will just screw up the field. Blends typically have a lot of filler of inferior "wild"grasses that grow about ten times taller than ours does ,meaning about three days after the field is cut you'll have tall clumps of grass to clog your gear.
My ramblings for what they're worth.
John

pmackenzie

Here is a link to the city of Toronto free compost information:
http://www.toronto.ca/compost/leaf.htm
Pat MacKenzie

Park

gordonbw

I'll be very happy to help and also contribute a load of compost.

However, I'd be very interested to know what it would cost to get it done professionally. (I know it's expensive, but I'd really like to know more specifically what that means ... John, can you shed some light?)

Also, maybe there's an option halfway between a full professional job and an all-volunteer effort... For example, perhaps it would be feasible to pay someone to deliver a really large load of compost to the field, and then ask the members to spend a day raking and levelling it.  It seems to me that this would be a lot easier and faster than asking a whole bunch of volunteers to each contribute a few bushels of compost.

I also wonder whether we might be eligible for Trillium Grant funding for field improvement.  I expect we would need a longer term commitment from the landlord to do this, but it might be worth looking into.  As I have suggested this as a possibility in the past, I will commit to investigating it and get back to the group via this thread.

Best to all... I miss you guys!

Gordon Braun-Woodbury
"How on earth do I land this thing?"