Combat Challenge

Started by Gregor77, June 30, 2011, 08:28:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gregor77

I am proposing a small Canada day TEMAC challenge.

Some of the members have had a great time chasing our warbirds around the field.   So,....

Instead of potencially damaging our GWS or other kits.  Why don't we make our own "cheap" planes?   Maybe some profile planes?

There are tons of plans online  that we can make them out  of blue foam, etc.  I already went to Home Depot and the local construction yard.

I am challenging anyone to make a plane this long weekend!   

Let's follow some simple rules

Orange or Park RX (Cheap)
XT900's servos (2-4)
25/30 ESC HK
2409 Bell Motor (HK)
1000-1550 battery (3S)

Max WS of 30" or smaller.

Has to be early ww2 based, meaning no 46 designs etc.  So Spitefires, BF109, FW, Fiats, etc are allowed or any odball planes.

Once the planes are built, but not painted, we will set up a test day.   Where all members involved will be able to test and tune the planes.  As some have never built profile planes, this should be interesting.

Once everyones design is rather close to flying (I need Ken C's help on this one)

We will plan to have a normal combat, streamer event and the points will be granted to each pilot.  The winner of the event will be treated to a cold drink and all you can eat wings at Col. Mustards in Markham the following Tuesday (unless you want something else).

If anyone would like to be involved, please reply to this tread.

We can divide members into teams.   Axis and Allies....

sihinch

I've cheated and got a profile hurricane kit on order - will you still let me play????  :P

sihinch

I received the kit yesterday - basic blue foam but very nicely cut.  I'll send some photos tonight, if I get chance.

Fuselage is made of 5 laminations, 3 large ones for the centre and 2 smaller ones to provide a radius at the rear. Tail fin, tail planes and wings are flat. Wings have cut-out for spar and a lamination for the leading edge, to give some chord.  All servo and battery holes are cut - I just need to get some wire for push rods on the control surfaces.

Unfortunately it's number 4 in the queue of planes to be built, but hope to have it flying before the end of August.

sihinch

Here's a picture........

gordonbw

sihinch

Hope I don't get attacked by the moderators for advertising business! :P

I contacted a guy called Ken Neal who I found on RC groups.  He has many designs and sells all the kits for about $40 with shipping and taxes included.

Here is the thread on RC goups for all the available designs...........

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1012551