Top Flite DC3 82.5" wingspan

Started by Michael, October 26, 2013, 09:06:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sihinch

You can get Rx pack voltage displays though. Would that not help reduce risk to acceptable levels?

Ededge2002

LiFe receiver packs solve lots of failure points. No memory,  low storage drain,  high capacity,  6Volt output eliminates external regulator and gives strong servos.  Nicads what's a nicad Robert?  Another advantage is very safe setup. Rx power is independent and if using it only the motor can never start.  Also you can power up the model motor battery and until you power the receiver the esc will remain unarmed. 
Yea 400W/lb should about do it.. But wouldn't a nice round 500 be better?

Michael

Thanks for the photos, Andy.

The maiden/test flight was a success. The plane flew nicely, and felt 'lighter' in the air than expected.

The landing was excellent and smooth.

I did bend knock the retracts in a bit when taxiing after the flight, but the repair is easy.

Michael

Ededge2002

That second photo is great!

I was watching the preparations but looked away and when I looked up you were flying it as if it was old hat.  Congratulations on a great build thread finish!
Yea 400W/lb should about do it.. But wouldn't a nice round 500 be better?

wollins

Michael, that plane looks absolutely awesome in the air! (and in your hands) Following your build has been really inspirational to me in my attempt at the waterbomber.

Colin
|
|
|

Three things are certain ... Death, Taxes and CRASHIN'!

piker

Yes!  I forgot to congratulate you on your accomplishments with this plane specifically.  Great build thread, great inspirations, and a perfect test flight.  I'm so glad I was there to witness it!

Great work, Michael!!!!

I'm looking forward to having the DC3 as part of the TEMAC sky-scape   :)

Michael

Some of you may know, I crashed my DC3 due to a radio problem.

http://temac.ca/smf/index.php/topic,5289.0.html

Horizon Hobby has been pretty good to me; they fixed my radio and compensated me fairly, but my model is still pretty broken.

Well, today the repairs have begun! I'm starting with the fuselage and I expect this will take about 1 or 2 weeks. The wing looks pretty bad, but I'll deal with that later. The retracts are badly damaged, and I'll have to order new ones.

Michael

Papa

That's the spirit, Michael. Putting all the skills he learned at the scratch building class to good use. LOL.

Jack.
A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"

Michael

2 hours of work done.

Another day will be sanding, filling, more sanding, fiberglass, apply water-based poly-urethane, and paint, and trim.

Deja-vu.

Michael

Michael

Fuselage has been sanded and smeared with filler. When it's dry, I'll sand it.

The wing is a mess. I'm trying to open it up to examine the damage. One I get it sorted out, I'll slowly start re-gluing and re-enforcing. The landing gear is a mess, and it won't come out. I'll keep trying.

Michael

wollins

Keep at it Mike, that model is worth it.

Colin
|
|
|

Three things are certain ... Death, Taxes and CRASHIN'!

sihinch

It's a beautiful plane Michael. You can do it. Like Colin said, it's worth it.

Michael

I was going to fly with Glenn this evening, but he cancelled due to the humidity, and would work on his Lysander instead.

So I decided to continue on my DC3.

The nose has been sanded, filled, re-sanded, and now I've started applying fiberglass.

I have finally got the damaged retracts out, cut away much of the center sheeting, and cut damaged scrap enough that the wing will be able to be braced and glued back in shape. I'll have to buy more glue before I can continue, but I'm confident enough now to order new retracts and 3-blade props.

Michael

sihinch

Congratulations Michael. Inspiration to us all.

Papa

Speedy is at it again.

Great looking work Michael.

Keep at it, it will fly much better when it's finished.

Jack.
A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"