Joining the 1/4 scale club/ BUSA Sopwith Pup

Started by electroflyer, January 16, 2014, 09:23:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

electroflyer

I have been working on this kit for about a week and a half and have essentially completed the two main wings. It is a very simple build, just big. Man I hope it fits in the PT cruiser (just kidding, measured the back end before buying the kit) The die cutting is pretty good, I did have to wrestle a few parts out of the balsa cores though, but all in all a straight forward and fun build. I am staying pretty true to the original drawings, with the exceptions being servo mounting in the wings and possibly elevator/ rudder controls.
  I am looking at 10S batteries and likely will be using  a Rotomax motor as they look to have the mass required to balance this plane along with 4500-5000mah batteries. Having watched Michaels  big TigerMoth, Rob's SE5a and Gregs Pup, it seemed like a fun place to go. I did have a WW1 Bristol Scout years ago that was scratch built from drawings aquired from a magazine so I do remember the fun of flying these planes and of course the tedious work of setting them up at the field. I will post a few pictures when the fuselage and wings can be setup together.

Glenn

battlestu

with all the 1/4 scale planes it's going to be a "big" year at TEMAC :)

(pun intended)
"I'm disrespectful to dirt. Can you see that I am serious?"

Andy Hoffer

Great!  Next stop, full scale.  A little field extension (and some geotex!) and I can land my Cessna at ROGO.  That will make it a real "fly in".

Andy

michaely

Glenn,

If you are looking to build a 10s 4500-5000 lipo pack,  'hify2104' (Mike G in Elmira) is selling 2 Flight Power Evo  5s/5000 packs for $110 shipped over at the fs-electronics page at rccanada forum.

I bought the first two packs he had for sale and they are vey high quality with individual cell voltages being very close together.

good luck,

Michael
Newmarket

piker

Yay!!!  A build thread from Glenn, and another WWI bipe for TEMAC this summer.  Great work, Glenn!  We're looking forward to the pictures.

Martin will be happy if we show up at Kingston with these planes   ;D

electroflyer

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the encouragement. Michael, I am checking into those batteries, though I do have a set which will be shared with my P-47.
Rob, as for Kingston, If I show up with this, I think it will be my only plane to make the trip....It's huge.  :D
   I will definitely look forward to flying these in formation. It will be quite a site, especially since this is the 100th year of the start of WW1.
   We will have to suggest a special day for this!!

Cheers

Wingnutz

Quote from: piker on January 16, 2014, 01:26:24 PM
Yay!!!  A build thread from Glenn, and another WWI bipe for TEMAC this summer.  Great work, Glenn!  We're looking forward to the pictures.

Martin will be happy if we show up at Kingston with these planes   ;D

Looking forward to seeing this one (anything Glenn builds!) and all the models TEMACers are building up in the air! All this building is a refreshing contrast to the buy and fly direction much of the hobby is taking.  Well done TEMAC!
DOWN WITH GRAVITY! UP WITH LEVITY!

piker

Hey Glenn,

I know you're probably not committed enough for an awesome airplane trailer  ;D  but how about a roof top mounted airplane box specifically for the Pup, or for whatever plane you need extra space for.  Do you have roof racks?

The first year of the Kingston fun fly, I drove our Honda Civic with my wife and 3 month old son.  I got a large cardboard box from work, added a wooden frame inside for reinforcement, and strapped it to the roof racks.  It worked very well.  You could come up with something a little more long term, and water proof, I'm sure.  It would also be a safe way to store your plane while at home.  I may have to do something like that too, for the Stranraer, as these big planes are filling up my trailer.

Gregor77

Glenn. Sounds like you are moving along very quick. They are fun builds. I have a few framed up pups at home if you get stuck just come over for some motivation.   I have three that are all built a bit different that will assist with planning. A few scale details make these things look great.

Gregor77

Well I just grabbed the Thomas morse kit in 1/6.  I was considering doing the float version.  Might need some help on this one.

sihinch

I was at Greg's house last night and these 1/4 planes are fabulous. I'm envious Glenn.

Good luck & I hope everything goes as planned.

electroflyer

Hey guys,
The build is going really well. I have completed the initial construction of the main wings and will start the tail feathers tomorrow.

Gregor77

Simon once you are done with the racers. You should build one. Glenn. Nice work  the wings look great. I have a hk aces of iron knock off that I painted up that you can have. He should be the right size as we installed one in Demetri's pup from Toronto club and it looked pretty good. I snuck the Thomas morse in the house today. Going to start cleaning the bench so I can start building again.

Michael

Michael

piker

This is very exciting!  A rare glimpse into the GN workshop.  It's an exciting new world of building within our little club   ;D

Very nice looking wings, Glenn.