Joining the 1/4 scale club/ BUSA Sopwith Pup

Started by electroflyer, January 16, 2014, 09:23:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

piker

Nice!  I need to get my SE5a finished too!

Gregor77

electroflyer

Worked on getting the struts trimmed and shaped. Did not photograph today, but here is what it currently looks like.

electroflyer

Well progress to date : 1) struts are stained and attached to piano wire. 2) landing gear is also built with stained wood attached.  :P

Next up was a control equalizer for the elevator for the pull/pull system . I was able to use parts from an old motor, an unused wooden motor mount , levers from a steerable nose gear kit and of course the actual wire kit to come up with what I hope will be a clean solution. It allows one servo to do all the work.

sihinch

That stained wood looks fabulous. Nice one Glenn.

piker

wollins

That looks like a work of art ... real clean!

Colin
|
|
|

Three things are certain ... Death, Taxes and CRASHIN'!

electroflyer

Thanks guys,
I was not sure if this post had gotten through as everything froze on me while I was posting.
It must have been related to the issues Ben has been dealing with.

I now have the aircraft sitting on its main gear....... Yeah!
The rudder and elevator servos should be installed this weekend, ESC has been ordered, and the fuselage is getting a few minor balsa wood details which after studying some old photos should enhance the appearance a bit. All in all, this has been a really fun aircraft to build and with any luck should be good to go in a few weeks.
Glenn

piker

Nice!  So much cool building going on!  I love it!

What a great club  ;D

electroflyer

Update : Speed. Controller has arrived, Tail skid is made and attached to the fuselage, servo mount for the elevator is glued in position and test fitting of components resulted in this picture.
Glenn

Michael

The resulting picture is more than satisfactory.  ;D
Michael

piker

Wow!  Nice!

The plane matches your décor  ;D

gordonbw

electroflyer

Thanks Gord and Michael.
Rob, you get special mention for keen observation. lol
Servos are now installed. I hope finish the control cable routing tonight.
I'm working to ensure that wires do not bind or make any contact with one another so that I can get this last part of the build complete. Phew!

electroflyer

Sorry for the large gap between posts. Between work and repairs the Pup has taken a bit of a back seat. The aircraft is on the verge of being completed enough to hopefully test fly tomorrow. Balancing is my last concern. It is very close with motor, batteries and ESC, but at the 4" balance point the tail hangs slightly low. Biplanes are usually okay slightly tail heavy, but I will buy some lead today as I would prefer to ensure a good flight. Just need to check the forecast.  8)
Glenn