Westland Lysander build

Started by electroflyer, April 09, 2015, 09:27:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the giant

This is such a great model subject.  I can't wait to see it!

electroflyer

Thanks Andre

I'm currently working through the drawings, trimming ribs and making sure I thoroughly understand what the designer was wanting built.
I've laid out the right wing as it is a reverse copy the left wing drawing (and I mean reverse) .
The biggest thing to slow me down is the wing ribs, however, I have now pretty much completed them and have started gluing to the spars. This is where it starts to get exciting as it is now starts to take shape.

electroflyer

I picked up a set of fiberglass wheel pants that I swear are from or for a
Lysander.  They appear to be a little small, but given the fact that they were sold to me for Five bucks, I thought it was worth the gamble. I will probably still carve from balsa, but having a 3d model will help me to get them right.

electroflyer

Well guys, I'm still plugging away at the Lysander. The wing ribs were all rough cut and required sizing and and fitting, furthermore, the ribs shown on the drawings did not perfectly line up with the wing plan. But I have experienced this many times as I'm sure many of you have also. I made adjustments during construction and have been able to get the main wing structure complete enough to take a couple of photos of the process so far.
Glenn

Michael

Nice picture back there of John Lennon at the Rolling Stones Rock and Roll Circus.

Oh yeah, the plane is really cool, too!

Michael

sihinch

electroflyer

Thanks guys!
I was wondering if anyone would spot John.
Nice going Michael. Bonus points for the names of the  other two visible (slightly) musicians. lol

sihinch

Eric Clapton and Keith Richards!

electroflyer

Michael

What song were they playing?  ;D
Michael

sihinch

electroflyer

Good call Simon and great song!
Any way it has been a while. Last week I was off and I used the time to kick start the project. It's a good thing too as just building the ailerons and flaps took better part of three days. Between sizing, gluing, sheeting and hinging, oh yeah sanding I managed to get the wing looking like a complete unit.
Next step was the landing gear. I missed placing a shim which meant either breaking the glue joint or altering all of the associated wood. I broke the glue joint.
All in all, I am quite happy how the aircraft is shaping up and even managed to get the most of the stringers on the fuselage.
Glenn

sihinch

Meticulous work Glenn. Very nice.

electroflyer

electroflyer

Just to let you know that the project is still moving forward. 1) I have added oleo struts to the heavy plywood gear as I definitely prefer an aircraft to have a damping system and the plans only had a fixed axle relying on soft tires to reduce the impact loads. 2) the cowling has been started and by using original formers designed for the gas variant and a lot of cutting and trimming, I have been able to get a reasonable cowling which once adorned with blisters and cowl flaps not to mention a proper lip should look quite passable. 3) the vertical fin and rudder are ready for final sanding. 4) the horizontal stabilizer and elevators are pretty much sanded, although complications arise with this because of the hidden hinges. I will have to cover the elevators first, then attach to the horizontal stabilizer and finally sheet the underside of the stabilizer to complete. I am thinking this through before committing. 5) the wheel pants have been every bit as complicated as I had expected. The precut formers are glued to the landing gear ply, then the inner fender ( I used 1/64th ply) is put in place on the back side. After that, a series of large balsa blocks were glued to the formers. then comes the carving and sanding....yikes!
   Any ways , here are a few photo's..enjoy!