Westland Lysander build

Started by electroflyer, April 09, 2015, 09:27:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wollins

|
|
|

Three things are certain ... Death, Taxes and CRASHIN'!

electroflyer

I am pleased to report that the windy weekend has been put to good use. I have completed covering the fuselage and have been working on the wing struts which are the last major components of this build. I also stumbled upon some RAF markings which I believe I bought in Kingston either this year or last. Regardless, I could not help myself, I placed the decals on and this is the result.  :)

Michael

Michael

gordonbw

Best use of a windy weekend I have ever seen.  Congratulations Glenn!

electroflyer

Thanks guys,
It feels good knowing the "to do" list is shrinking.. Phew!

piker

Wow!  Very nice, Glenn.  Lookin' GOOD!!!

RogMason

Way to go Glenn, in true 'Moon Plane' livery!
What is the wingspan? It looks huge in the photo!
'Roger That...'

electroflyer

Thanks guys,

Roger, I think the wing span is 84", The plane will be roughly the size of my Page Super Cub. It has a very torquey G160 motor with a 6s battery swinging a 3 blade 16" x 10" prop. I was concerned that this may be too little as it is a 245 kv motor, but after testing in the back yard, I'm convinced the power will be more than adequate with a very scale flight envelope.

Glenn

electroflyer

Well I was hoping to test fly the Lysander yesterday, but the wind was a little too strong and gusty, I did however take it out side and fired up the motor. I found that the motor had lots of power, but there were some timing issues that required attention as the motor would stop abruptly when throttling down. The good news is that the problem has been rectified and we are go for a flight. Tomorrow is my goal... ;D
Here are a few more shots taken yesterday.
Glenn

battlestu

very cool!!... looking forward top hear about your successful maiden!!

Greg
"I'm disrespectful to dirt. Can you see that I am serious?"

bweaver

That looks great Glenn.  I can't wait to see it fly.

wollins

Quote from: electroflyer on October 26, 2015, 11:59:56 AM
  Well I was hoping to test fly the Lysander yesterday, but the wind was a little too strong and gusty

Yeah, I've been waiting three weeks now to maiden the Solent.  >:( Anyway, she looks awesome.  Specially like the contrast between the glossy and the flat. Adds another dimension to the look. That canopy looks like it was a b*&#h to do though. ;)

Colin
|
|
|

Three things are certain ... Death, Taxes and CRASHIN'!

octagon

Looks great Glenn. Did you get a chance to maiden it today? I was by the field at about 3 but only a couple of guys there then.
What could possibly go wrong?

electroflyer

Thanks guys,

Yes Colin, The canopy was a "B" and is not quite finished. I may redo it over the winter, as the plastic I bought was a little  too thin.
  I did not fly today, but will try tomorrow (weather permitting)
   The aircraft is quite portly and required a huge amount of lead to balance despite the big motor and heavy landing gear. The large prop has a lot of thrust though and I'm hoping it will over come anything that gravity can through at it.

Glenn

Andy Hoffer

Home run, Glenn!

Can't wait to photograph it at TEMAC.

Bravo!

Andy