Westland Lysander build

Started by electroflyer, April 09, 2015, 09:27:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

electroflyer

electroflyer

Good news, the Lysander flew...barely  :o. The aircraft is a STOL type however mine barely lumbered in to the air. It required flaps and slats to remain deployed the entire time as I had very little elevator control. I quickly made a decision to land  as I soon realized that I had full throttle for pretty much the entire flight. Surprisingly, the plane landed hot but pretty smooth......phew!
After checking the drawings and the C of g, I am beyond convinced that the location is beyond wrong. I am therefore balancing this aircraft in a more conventional way. 25 to 30%. This meant removing almost 20 ounces of nose weight which was required to make the plan c of g.
I sort of think things will improve dramatically with next flight and I hope to try again Sunday...fingers crossed.
Glenn

Michael

It's still a flight, and it's still a successful landing. Congratulations!

2 things to consider:

1. Are you drawing enough amps/watts? If you're not, a bigger prop may help a lot with the power issue. If you are drawing enough power, ignore this.

2. Remove 20 ounces? That seems like a lot. Maybe proceed more cautiously; you don't want to be tail heavy.

Any body else? Am Are my comments wrong?

Michael

Gregor77

Wow Glenn, the plane looks fantastic!  It's a good thing that you landing it safely.  Best of luck on the next flight.  The weather this week looks good!  ;D

wollins

Congrats! After your tweeks I'm sure it'll fly as good as it looks. :)

Colin
|
|
|

Three things are certain ... Death, Taxes and CRASHIN'!

electroflyer

Thanks guys,
It did look cool being all black against a bright blue sky, but unfortunately as you can imagine my focus was avoiding Terra Firma. 
Michael, you are right about being careful with altering the weight radically, but after looking at a side view scale drawing, I became convinced that the way I originally envisioned the balance would have been far more reasonable. Basically, I am going to balance ahead of the main spar, near the fuselage and gauge the flight. It is still nose heavy, just not extreme. As for power, it is a Axi type motor 4130 swinging a 15 x 12 prop on 6s.

Wingnutz

Glenn,
Sorry I cut the model out of much of the first part of the flight (the cardiac circuit)...took a while to get ahead of it!
Tried to e-mail  so you could post the link but the address I have bounced back. Congratulations!
Another impressive build and impressive test -piloting!

http://youtu.be/U4BB4ebD-yw
DOWN WITH GRAVITY! UP WITH LEVITY!

wollins

Certainly not lacking power. :)

Colin
|
|
|

Three things are certain ... Death, Taxes and CRASHIN'!

sihinch

Nice flight. Congratulations!

I'm sure you'll get it dialed in.

piker

Awesome build, Glenn!  It looks like it flies very well, but did look nose heavy the way it came in fast for the landing.

bweaver

Very impressive!!!!!!!  Beautiful plane.  Well done.

BJROB

Nice job Glenn
Man does that plane look awesome
Well done
My Work??? is so secret....
I Don't even Know what I'm Doing!!!

Andy Hoffer

Bravo!!

My heart was in my mouth watching the video. Looks like a handful!  Could you give us your observations on the maiden flight?

Andy

electroflyer

Thanks guys for the kind words and encouragement.
Andy, the plane was a handful. I was working the sticks to get the plane aloft and then keep it there. It was severely nose heavy, but that was based on the drawings. My gut feeling was that the drawing had the C of g too far forward, and given the motor, battery location and the heavy landing gear this aircraft should have required almost no nose weight, but to my shock 20 ounces was required to make the position indicated.
It was very strange to have to hold full up elevators the entire flight and full flaps deployed to gain height where I could relax (slightly). I cut the flight short to ensure power on landing and given the fact that the elevator was maxed out, power is what allowed a smooth but hot landing. The plane should be flying like a Cub and I suspect it will once the balance is confirmed and she is properly trimmed. I can hardly wait to try again!
Glenn.

Wingnutz

Move over Chuck Yeager...you've met your match as a test pilot! Nice job Glenn!
That first circuit really was a heart stopper....sorry my sloppy work with the iPhone  missed a lot of the initial wobbling efforts to climb. Keep us posted about how the taming of the beast goes. We know you'll do it!
DOWN WITH GRAVITY! UP WITH LEVITY!