Balsa USA Eindecker 40 Build Log

Started by gordonbw, September 25, 2012, 06:03:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gordonbw

Thanks guys!  Can't wait for WWI maiden day at TEMAC!

piker

Yes!  The Eindecker looks great, Gordon!  Great job.

I just hope you're not the ONLY one with a WWI plane ready to go!   I'm sure Michael will have his spy plane ready  :)

gordonbw

piker

Gregor77

gordonbw

Today I balanced the Eindecker -- it required 12 oz of church roof in the nose.  I also set up the radio and ran the motor for the first time.  With 4 cells and a 14.8 prop I am getting 703 watts at 43.5 amps.  I think that's enough grunt.

Michael

Michael

Madman

Well did the maiden today at our Maidenfest. Flew great, not one click trim on any control. Whoo Hooo! I haven't bench tested this combo (hard to believe for me) but on 5S A123s, about 6 mins flight time at 1/2 throttle I had to add 1.25Ah for the second flight. Motor is some kind of Hobby King all black 4260-500 (discontinued sale last year) a 14x10 MA wood glow prop and a 50A Birdie ESC I won as a pilot prize at Jerzy's North Bay electric meet last year. Servos are two HS80s on ailerons and an HS85BB each on rudder and elevator.

Stephen

Gregor77

Gordon, not like I am trying to relive this post, but I am starting the eindecker now that the DR-1 is done... My work bench is now getting ready for the build.

I wanted to know how did you determine the location of the sticks for the fuse?  I know that you cut the two panel at the wing area and then made the sticks for the fuse halves.  I am going to do the same.   I might not do a built up elevator, but tail for sure.   I want to make mine a fun flier so that I can join you chasing the others around.

Gregor77

I just wanted to mention that I have not looked at the plans.   If you bring the plane out again, can I take a look at how you mounted the battery.  I wanted to do a 4S-5S and was wondering if you take the wing off to disconnect and install a new battery?  Did you make a hatch?  I can't recall!   Looking forward to the build this winter...

Plus it gives me a chance to clean up!

Gregor77

I am going to make mine look like this one....

gordonbw

Greg,

The flight battery on my Eindecker goes just behind the firewall.  There's a hatch for it on the underside.  Lots of room for a 4 or 5s there.

Re the stick fuselage....I used the original fuse sides (sheet) to trace an outline plan, and then basically made it up as I went along.  It was pretty easy.

Do the built up elevator.  It's really tail heavy and you're gonna want to lose weight behind the CG.

Somebody needs to order the ARF Airco DH1 from Maxford so we can have an authentic WW1 dogfight!