Balsa USA Eindecker 40 Build Log

Started by gordonbw, September 25, 2012, 06:03:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gregor77

Looks like we are moving along.  I am waiting for glue to dry. Tonight I have to mount the mid wing and line it up.

gordonbw

I laminated the outside edges of the fin today and rudder today.  Will share pics when the framework for both is done ... work area is just too messy right now!

piker

Good stuff, Gordon.  The momentum is most excellent!  Keep up the good work.

Robert

Gregor77

Well I just pick up the kit at graves Rc in Tampa Orlando area.  Grabbed a 1/6 scale gun and pilot for it. What is the wheel size?  They have tons on the Williams and Dubrovnik sets here.   How is the build going?

gordonbw

:) Eindecker Progress Report! :)

The EIII framework is basically complete.  Note the 1/64" ply gussets everywhere. 

I did experience couple of D'OH moments.  First, after completing the framed rudder I realized there was no attachment point for the control horn -- I had to go back and add structure.  Second (and this is really lame), I forgot to add basswood reinforcements behind the wing spar for the wing bolts to go through.  So, I had to open up the wing sheeting and install them.   All's well now.

Next steps:

1. Complete the fuselage top, including cockpit
2. Build motor mount (Turnigy G46 arrived last week.  Big honkin' motor!)
3. Install servos
4. Figure out how to mount the battery. I'm thinking about creating an access hatch directly under the nose, as it looks like the wing will have to come off to change batteries otherwise.  That would not be fun with all the rigging wires I'm planning.
5.  Create the scale landing gear (bending/soldering wire is my least favorite part of the building process)

On the shopping list:

- 2 rolls of Antique WorldTex covering
- 1/8" welding rod for landing gear
- Black elastic cord for rigging wires
- Aces of Iron WW1 pilot (which I will ask my artist spouse to paint)
- Some kind of dummy engine -- still have not found the right one.

gordonbw

Found a 1/6 scale dummy WWI engine at a reasonable price...

Dare Hobbies
http://www.darehobby.com/accessories/PDF/WWIRotar%20Engin%201028-2%20Instructions.pdf
$17.95 + shipping

(and they refunded half the shipping after the order went through!)

piker

Hey Gordon,

I mentioned a while ago that we should aim to bring our builds to the December meeting.  Can you bring yours along for show and tell?  Works in progress are intersting to people... I think.

What about you, Cadez, Hazelton, and Higgins?  Anyone else doing some balsa bashing?

Is there enough room in the meeting room?

Robert

gordonbw

The bones of the EIII are done!  Lots still to complete, but it sure feels great to have taken it from a box of sticks and sheets to something that actually looks like an airplane.

Next steps -- hinge ailerons, install servos, build battery hatch and tray, cover, and then lots of detailing.

(Don't look to closely at the landing gear -- my music wire soldering skills still need a lot of work).

piker

Excellent Gordon!  It looks like a real airplane now!  Very cool.

Of course when you say not to look to closely at the landing gear, that's exactly what we do.  Well I did and it looks really good to me.  Lots of cool detail in there.

I've been working away too.  I'll post some pictures soon.

Robert

battlestu

"I'm disrespectful to dirt. Can you see that I am serious?"

gordonbw

All ready to start covering! I worked on the darn thing at least two hours per day this week but it doesn't really look any different.  Installing the cowl, battery hatch and tray, servos, arming switch, ESC and such proved fiddly and time consuming, as always.

Gregor77

gordonbw

Today I covered the front of the fuselage and cowl cheeks with Flight Metal. After covering I burnished the aluminum, creating "engine turned" patterns using a small wad of steel wool attached to a Dremel brush.

The stuff is quite unforgiving and shows every flaw.  Fortunately the burnishing process covers up a multitude of sins, and so the end result doesn't look too bad.  I have a new level of respect for the Top Gun guys who use Flight Metal to cover their WWII warbirds and jets.

Next I will do the same to the cowling.

piker

Very nice, Gordon.  That effect worked out very well!

Did you put the Flite-Metal directly over the balsa, or did you glass the wood first?

What's the cowl made from?  ABS?

gordonbw

Rob, I simply hardened the balsa with thin CA before applying the aluminum -- seems to work OK.  The cowl parts are (unfortunately) ABS.  I plan to reinforce the edges of the cowl with fiberglass before covering it.

I did a side-by-side comparison of the Flite Metal with aluminum sticky-back HVAC tape from Home Depot.  Honestly, I can't tell the difference!