Top Flite DC3 82.5" wingspan

Started by Michael, October 26, 2013, 09:06:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom M.

Have floats been mentioned?

Andy Hoffer

Those amphib floats would be awesome on black water (Frenchman's Bay) AND on a Geotex runway, and, of course, on white water!!  Go for it Michael! 

Andy

Michael

General assembly started. I need to assemble everything and make a place for the batteries, and balance the model, before painting.

Tail 'feathers' are 'dry'- hinged in place.

I think it looks pretty good!  ;D
Michael

Papa

I agree it does look very good.

Jack.
A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"

piker

It looks REALLY good.  So cool.  I love airplanes  ;D

But wait!  Way do your trailing edges on both the elevators and rudder not line up with the tail fairing?  I think you need to start the build over  ;)

Papa

Silly, he's showing scale wear and tear.

Jack
A motto to live by:

Michael

The tail cone was attached last.

I suppose I could have trimmed it shorter, but it would also have changed the profile/shape, so I left it as is.
Michael

piker

I don't know...  Do you think you'll win the scale award at Kingston with THAT flaw?!!!  Especially after I point it out to everyone?   ;D

Papa

I know who will the target in Kingston for being nobbled!

LOL

Jack.
A motto to live by:

Michael

Quote from: piker on February 05, 2014, 02:33:45 PM
I don't know...  Do you think you'll win the scale award at Kingston with THAT flaw?!!!  Especially after I point it out to everyone?   ;D

We all know your biplane isn't really scale.

I guess you'll be hoping for best sport plane award.  ;D
Michael

piker

I'm entering my Nooner in the scale contest.  It's "true scale" to the original Nooner.

Michael

You may have a chance with that one.  ;D

Michael

Tom M.

So versatile!
  Tom

Ededge2002

I've witnessed this one flying.  Its such a good plane all the people want to do is JUMP OUT IF IT!  Watch the videos you will get the idea of how they fly down there!  Heck Kirby Chambliss lives right down the road so to speak...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2hbu4083Sc&feature=youtube_gdata_player

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ca9IUu_Lgdc&feature=youtube_gdata_player

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_yushwKIzE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Yea 400W/lb should about do it.. But wouldn't a nice round 500 be better?

Michael

Based on a trial balance of all the components, it seems as though a battery pack in the nose (under the cockpit-hatch) will work just fine.

I also tried measuring amp draw with the 3-blade propellers, which happen to look really good (see the image below), on various battery packs.

I tried a 4-cell pack with which I was afraid to go past 1/2 throttle (about 25 amps) because it was really pulling hard and fast.

I then tried a 3-cell pack which only drew 23 amps, but was still incredibly strong.

That only makes about 500 to 550 watts total, (two motors) at full throttle, for a 10 pound (or so) model airplane.

It doesn't seem like much, but it really feels strong, and I think it will be more than enough.

Any comments?
Michael