CL-415 winter project.

Started by wollins, November 11, 2013, 12:03:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wollins

Quote from: wollins on March 24, 2014, 09:55:41 PM

Okay enough with the hinges already ... moving on.  :)

Colin

Did I say that? ;) Last two pics now with flaps/hinges installed.  ;D

Colin
|
|
|

Three things are certain ... Death, Taxes and CRASHIN'!

wollins

Anyone know where I can find large clear storage tubes?  Need something to store things like pushrods, music wire etc etc 

C.
|
|
|

Andy Hoffer

piker

Cool!  And they come with end caps!

Papa

I use cardboard mailing tubes cut in half lengthwise and screwed to the front of plastic shelving.

Jack.
A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"

wollins

Awesome! Is there anything you guys don't know!?  ;D I like the HD one Andy, (Plastic World is very expensive and you have to buy by the case) only trouble is I can't seem to find them in a Canadian HD?

C
|
|
|

wollins

Quote from: Papa on March 31, 2014, 12:03:18 PM
I use cardboard mailing tubes cut in half lengthwise and screwed to the front of plastic shelving.

Jack.

Hmmm Jack, I can't really visualize that ... Is it clear shelving?
|
|
|

Papa

Here's what I mean.

Jack.
A motto to live by:

wollins

|
|
|

Papa

Not very fancy but I was recycling old stuff I had in the house.

Jack.
A motto to live by:

wollins

Well, I found EXACTLY what Im looking for! (http://www.uline.ca/BL_3651/Clear-Plastic-Tubes) The obvious problem is that the least I can purchase is 25. Did a dummy order and it came out to $308. (including the end caps and shipping to me in Toronto.)  That works out to $12.32 per 3" X 48" tube.  Not bad IF I can get the remaining 23 sold! (I only need two) Any takers? :)

Colin 
|
|
|

wollins

Well, I spent an obscene amount of time this week on these darn flaps tweaking control horn geometry, throws etc etc.  Unfortunately I find it easy to get caught up in the minutia sometimes ... it's the nature of my sickness. (analretentiveness  ;D)

In actual fact on a subconscious level I think I was putting off tackling these nacelles because for some reason I thought they would be a PITA to build.  Well I finally got to it today and whaddya know, it appears to be the simplest thing I've done with this plane thus far!  Matter of fact the frame up (as seen in the pics) only took a relatively short time. 

I didn't like the supplied firewall/motor mount however.  They seemed quite flimsy and since I will be powering this with quite a bit more power than the kit maker intended I made some "sturdier" ones.  Besides the mounting holes in the kit mount were in the wrong spots for my motor so I used that to further justify my modification.  :) You can see the kit's motor mount on the far right of pic #3 and mine are the two on the left of it. 

I should be able to get this all done (framed, planked, cowls trimmed and mounted and motors installed) by Sunday so I should still be on track for a mid month completion.  ;D 

Colin
|
|
|

Papa

Really coming on a treat, Colin. Looks really good.

jack.
A motto to live by:

wollins

Well things have slowed a bit as I'm waiting on some wiring (shipment from HK) without which I can't close up my nacelles.  ::) Anyways they're all framed up, I've finished my motor mounts, mounted my motors, cut shaped and sanded my cowls, and run some wiring ... I even have the sheeting for the nacelles precut and shaped ... ready to go. I just need to get these wires and then I can button them up. In other words the "hard" part is done.  :)

While I was waiting I did some work on the my tip floats.  Just basically got them framed up.  Hopefully I can get them planked and sheeted tomorrow depending on my time availability. So after the nacelles and tip floats are done I'm pretty much done the "building" of this plane.  Oh I have the winglets to build but that should take no time at all since they're pretty much like the finlets (on the rear stab) ... a simple flat one dimensional frame that's then covered. 

Anyway, after these things ... then I have to do the "finishing". (installing my electronics, sanding, covering, painting etc.)  My goal is still April 15th!

Colin   
|
|
|

piker

Wow!  You're determined!

You must be enjoying the build to be able to stay so motivated :-)

You'll have your water bomber finished before I finish mine!