BUSA Dr-1 1/4 Scale

Started by Gregor77, August 13, 2012, 01:10:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

battlestu

unguarded construction sites are a great place to look ;)

if you don't feel like getting in trouble with the law... just head to home depot and get a foot or two of stranded copper wire.
"I'm disrespectful to dirt. Can you see that I am serious?"

gordonbw

Michael's has thin copper wire in their jewelry section.

piker

I used copper wire that I got at Home Depot.  They have coils of copper and aluminum in the aisle where the weather stripping is.  It's a bit thicker than I would normally use, but I figured it was fine/appropriate for 1/4 scale.  Next time I'll see what Michaels, etc. has too.

Robert

Gregor77

Great, I am going to head there afterwork.. lunch was a bit busy at the office...

Gregor77

piker

Very nice.  i wonder if we'll be able to have a similar fly around at TEMAC this year...   :)

Gregor77

So I started to solder my landing gear and that turned out to be a disaster.. The metal turned black and the solder just dripped off everything.  The cooper wire did nothing but held the wires together.  I then tried to add some load on the parts and it all snapped off.  How much heat do I need to use... I was using a torch.

So after 2 hrs wasted trying to do this.. I just mig welded the parts together... Now it will never come off.

Started working on the lower wing between the landing gear.  Just have to shape the leading edge and make the end caps and that will be done.

Then I can start lining up the Motor (Which got used in my 1/4 pup), so I have to wait for more stuff from the king.

This plane is huge!

I was debating on the colour of the solartex and it looks like I will go with the light blue.  All the reference images show that the plane had a dark green streak pattern on the upper surfaces.  Because I am doing the Voss plane, I will have to also do a semi-gloss finish as the report from McCudden said the plane was fairly shiney in that last battle for Voss.

sihinch

Don't forget also, Greg, that the most successful WW1 pilots had shiny planes - it was part of the psychological warfare tactics.  That and wearing hockey masks.

S

Ededge2002

"I just mig welded the parts together"

lol
Yea 400W/lb should about do it.. But wouldn't a nice round 500 be better?

piker

Did you use acid flux on the gear?

Gregor77

Yes, I used acid flux, it just burned my eyes and made the house smell funny.  :-[

piker

Then you need more heat... or more patience.  I use an 80 watt iron.  No problem.

Michael

Quote from: Gregor77 on March 11, 2013, 09:42:21 AM
Yes, I used acid flux, it just burned my eyes and made the house smell funny.  :-[

Did you laugh?
Michael

sihinch

Papa

Sounds like you directed the torch at the joint. You burned the flux and the residue will not take solder. When you use a torch you have to direct it at the metal above or below the joint. When the flux starts to bubble it should be approaching the right temperature and you can start applying solder.

Jack.
A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"